Exploring the vibrant southeast coast in truly exclusive style, Great Southern Rail links the spectacular cities of Adelaide and Brisbane.
Taking in the spectacular Grampians mountains, the nation’s capital of Canberra, the magnificent coastal scenery of New South Wales and the tropical reaches of Tangalooma, this is a journey that showcases some of South Australia’s highlights. Feel the excitement build as you set off on one of the world’s finest coast-to-coast crossings, which also happens to include the longest stretch of straight railway track in existence.
Enjoy the finest dining and beverages as you glide across the country, taking in the views of the diverse scenery from the comfort of your private cabin or enjoying convivial company in the lounge car - in the evenings it’s the perfect place for a nightcap before going to bed - before waking each morning to a new, exhilarating view.
Nothing enhances the romance of rail travel quite like Platinum Service. Tailored for the discerning traveller, it adds a new level of luxury and sophistication to your journey.
Stylishly appointed and spacious cabins are complemented by discreet, personalised service, world-class food and wine, and access to the exclusive Platinum Club for meals, and socialising.
With Platinum Service, the food and wine are of the highest standard. Enjoy hearty breakfasts, two-course lunches, and four-course dinners, all paired with premium wines.
- All-inclusive dining, beverages, and Off Train Experiences
- Spacious Double or Twin cabin almost twice the size of a Gold Service Twin cabin
- By day, cabins are set up lounge-style with a moveable table and two ottomans
- By night, lounges are converted to double or twin beds
- En suite equipped with separate shower, vanity with cupboard space, toilet and Australian bathroom amenities
- Power outlets and in-cabin safe
- In-cabin music channels and journey audio commentary
- Panoramic windows offering views from both sides of the train
- Access to the exclusive Platinum Club for dining and socialising
- Freshly prepared continental breakfasts served upon request in-cabin
- Refreshments served in-cabin
- 90 kg checked luggage allowance per guest (3 x 30 kg each)
From the moment you step on board, you’ll be immersed in the world of romance that epitomises rail travel. As the most popular service option, you’ll have everything you need to feel right at home for the duration of your journey.
Choose between Gold Service Twin and Single cabins, both of which provide the perfect place to unwind after a day of Off Train Experiences. Catch up with new-found friends in the shared Outback Explorer Lounge and dine on delicious dishes in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant.
Gold Service fares include hearty breakfasts, two-course lunches, and three-course dinners; you can also choose to complement your meal with a selection of premium wines and beverages.
- For Gold Twin, a comfortable sleeper cabin featuring private en suite and upper and lower berths that convert to a three-seater lounge by day
- For Gold Single, a compact sleeper cabin featuring a bed that converts to a seat by day and shared shower/toilet facilities located at the end of the carriage
- Power outlets in cabin
- In-cabin music channels and journey audio commentary available
- All-inclusive dining in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant
- All-inclusive Australian wines, beers, base spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages
- All-inclusive Off Train Excursions and Short Stops
- Luggage allowance is 60kg per guest
Great Southern Image Gallery
Browse Great Southern Rail’s fabulous image gallery below and discover more about life on board.
The Great Southern Rail offers two itineraries with different embark and disembark points:
Adelaide to Brisbane
Adelaide – Canberra – Coffs Harbour and Surrounds
Brisbane to Adelaide
Brisbane – Coffs Harbour – Hunter Valley/Newcastle/Port Stephens – Regional Victoria/Melbourne - Adelaide
Adelaide to Brisbane – Two nights
Brisbane to Adelaide – Three nights
Your journey is an all-inclusive experience, and your fare includes your cabin, all meals are included as are beverages (beer, wine, basic spirits, soft drinks).
Yes, both itineraries vary between two- and three-night durations, so you will enjoy a comfortable and cosy night’s stay on board the train.
Yes, you will be contacted when your Off Train Experience preferences are open and these will be submitted on your behalf.
As journeys on board Great Southern Rail are all-inclusive you will only need to purchase any upgrades to Off Train Experiences or souvenirs which you can do so by EFTPOS or credit card facilities. No cash is accepted on board.
There is no strict dress code on board the train, comfort is key, so smart casual attire is recommended.
Warm clothes are recommended for Outback Experiences as mornings and evenings can be cool and it is also recommended to pack a hat, sunscreen and comfortable walking shoes for your Off Train Experiences.
Most special dietary requirements can be accommodated – including vegetarian, gluten free, lactose free and vegan. Please ensure this is advised at the time of booking.
Luggage limits apply for both carry on and checked luggage. These limits vary depending on the level of service you are travelling in and by train.
While on board Great Southern Rail, you can access one piece of hand luggage plus a garment bag, cabin bag or briefcase per person, and store this within your cabin. Checked luggage cannot be accessed during your rail journey and will be stored on a separate part of the train. Checked luggage limits apply.
- Platinum Service (per person): 3 x 30kg
- Gold Service (per person) 2 x 30kg
No smoking is not permitted on any part of the train.
Limited Wi-Fi is available in the Outback Explorer Lounges and Platinum Club carriages. Please note that Wi-Fi availability is dependent on mobile network coverage, and as we travel through some remote locations it may not always be available.
Great Southern Rail has a Gold Access Cabin available for wheelchair bound/physically impaired guests travelling in Gold Service. This cabin is subject to availability and assessment of the guest’s Fitness to Travel.