Often described as a ‘national treasure’, The Ghan makes an unforgettable voyage of discovery across the outback.
In 2019, the legendary locomotive celebrated 90 years of service. The Ghan offers a once-in-a-lifetime experience, following the tracks of pioneering explorers through the red heart of Australia, passing through parts of the great continent that most others cannot reach.
Today, the north to south journey (or vice versa) across country covers almost 3,000 kilometres of track, from the lush green plains of South Australia to the rusty, dusty Red Centre and the tropical foliage of Darwin.
While many changes have been made to the train and its route across Australia, the pioneer spirit remains the same. On board you’ll discover fine dining and even finer wines, elegant cabins ranging from luxurious to the height of sophistication, attentive staff to ensure you make the most of this incredible experience, and a range of Off-Train Experiences that show off the top sights of this mysterious, inhospitable land.
Travelling on The Ghan is not just a way of getting from north to south, or vice versa; this epic journey aims to recreate the Golden Age of rail travel, not just in its Edwardian cabins and sumptuous onboard dining, but also through its attentive service. Not only will you be able to personalise your mealtimes, excursions and cabin choice to your tastes, you can also opt for the level of service that suits you.
For the ultimate luxury, consider upgrading to the Platinum Service cabins and enjoy discreet touches throughout your voyage to elevate it to once-in-a-lifetime status. Your cabin will feature wider beds that can be arranged as a double or twin berth, a lounge with two armchairs and a full en suite shower room. And your mealtimes become an experience in themselves with world-class wines and Bollinger champagne, plus you’ll enjoy a nightcap before bed and access to the Platinum Club lounge, too.
- All-inclusive dining, beverages, and Off Train Experiences
- Spacious Double or Twin cabin almost twice the size of a Gold Service Twin cabin
- By day, cabins are set up lounge-style with a table and two ottomans
- By night, lounges are converted to double or twin beds
- En suite with separate shower, toilet and Australian bathroom amenities
- Power outlets and safe
- In-cabin music channels and journey audio commentary
- Panoramic windows
- Access to the exclusive Platinum Club
- Freshly prepared continental breakfasts served upon request in-cabin
- Refreshments served in-cabin
- 90 kg checked luggage allowance per guest (3 x 30 kg each).
The most popular cabins on board are certainly the Gold Service, which offers space to relax during the day, while transforming into a cosy bedroom at night. Choose a Twin cabin and you’ll have a three-seater lounge, which becomes an upper and lower berth bed, or a Single cabin with a lounge and a footrest, which converts to a level sleeping berth. Superior Double cabins are also available in limited numbers, with a three-quarter size bed, upper birth, and lounge.
All Gold Service cabins come with a wash basin and use of shared toilets and showers located at either end of the carriage, plus crisp bed linen, bath towels, pillows and toiletries provided by your attendant. In comparison to the elegant Edwardian décor of the dining cars, the contemporary cabins are luxuriously appointed from wood and feature all the modern comforts you desire.
- For Gold Twin, a comfortable sleeper cabin featuring private en suite and berths that convert to a three-seater lounge by day
- For Gold Single, a compact sleeper cabin featuring a bed that converts to a seat and shared shower/toilet facilities
- Power outlets in cabin
- In-cabin music channels and journey audio commentary available
- All-inclusive dining in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant
- All-inclusive Australian wines, beers, base spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages
- All-inclusive Off Train Experiences and Short Stops
- Luggage allowance is 60kg per guest
The Ghan Expedition & Northern Territory Discovery
- 3 night all-inclusive rail journey on board The Ghan Expedition
- Hotel stays in central Darwin & Adelaide
- Fully escorted tours of Litchfield National Park, Darwin, Barossa Valley & Hahndorf
- All flights & taxes
The Ghan Image Gallery
Browse The Ghan's fabulous image gallery below and discover more about life on board.
The Ghan offers six itineraries with different embark and disembark points:
Adelaide to Darwin
Adelaide – Marla – Alice Springs – Katherine - Darwin
Darwin to Adelaide
Darwin – Katherine - Alice Springs – Marla - Adelaide
Adelaide to Alice Springs
Adelaide – Marla – Alice Springs
Alice Springs to Adelaide
Alice Springs – Marla - Adelaide
Darwin to Alice Springs
Darwin – Katherine – Alice Springs
Alice Springs to Adelaide
Alice Springs – Katherine – Darwin
The Ghan offers six itineraries with different durations:
Adelaide to Darwin – Two nights
Darwin to Adelaide – Two nights
Adelaide to Alice Springs – One night
Alice Springs to Adelaide – One night
Darwin to Alice Springs – One night
Alice Springs to Adelaide – One night
Your journey is an all-inclusive experience, and your fare includes your cabin, all meals are included as are beverages (beer, wine, basic spirits, soft drinks).
As our journeys are all-inclusive you will not need to buy anything unless you choose to purchase an Off Train Experience upgrade or souvenirs, which you can do onboard utilising our EFTPOS or credit card facilities. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any cash out on our trains.
Luggage limits apply for both carry on and checked luggage. These limits vary depending on the level of service you are travelling in and by train.
While on board The Ghan, you can access one piece of hand luggage plus a garment bag, cabin bag or briefcase per person, and store this within your cabin. Checked luggage cannot be accessed during your rail journey and will be stored on a separate part of the train. Checked luggage limits apply.
- Platinum Service (per person): 3 x 30kg
- Gold Service (per person) 2 x 30kg
It’s your holiday and we want you to be comfortable so smart casual attire is recommended.
We also recommend:
- Warm clothes for Outback Experiences as mornings and evenings in the Outback can be cool
- Hat, sunscreen, and comfortable walking shoes for your Off Train Experiences.
Travelling from one end of the country to the other can provide a variation in climates.
When travelling on The Ghan, temperatures vary significantly so make sure to pack for both cooler and warmer temperatures.
- Darwin or Katherine: mid-30-degree temperatures
- Marla or Manguri: 4-degree nights/early mornings
No, smoking is not permitted on any of Journey Beyond Rail Expeditions services.
Limited Wi-Fi is available in the Outback Explorer Lounges and Platinum Club carriages. Please note that Wi-Fi availability is dependent on mobile network coverage, and as we travel through some remote locations it may not always be available.
Travelling The Ghan, 240v household outlets can be found in the cabin.
Most special dietary requirements can be accommodated – including vegetarian, gluten free, lactose free and vegan. Please ensure this is advised at the time of booking.
The Ghan has a Gold Access Cabin available for wheelchair bound/physically impaired guests travelling in Gold Service. This cabin is subject to availability and assessment of the guest’s Fitness to Travel.