Experience one of the few truly transcontinental rail journeys in the world with a voyage on board the Indian Pacific.
Part of Journey Beyond, the Indian Pacific travels across the breadth of southern Australia in incomparable style. Its storied journey follows in the footsteps of bush pioneers, gold rush greed, and famous adventurers who forged to discover the barren natural beauty of Australia’s famously unforgiving outback. The classic transcontinental journey takes four days and three nights, though the Indian Pacific also makes charter services for those who want to explore deeper into the bush. Throughout, there are Off Train Experiences to Adelaide and her surroundings, the Blue Mountains and Perth, so you can stretch your legs and explore the most remote corners of this inhospitable yet intensely welcoming land.
The train’s first full transcontinental journey took place in 1970. Today, the 774-metre-long train travels the 4,350 kilometres between Sydney and Perth in approximately 65 hours. It is instantly recognisable by its bold wedge-tailed eagle emblem.
Discerning travellers who enjoy the finest things in life will appreciate an upgrade to Platinum Service, where discreet, personalised touches ensure your whole journey is world class from start to finish, including unparalleled dining and accompanying wines, plus Bollinger champagne. Also included is Australian-made bath amenities, a nightcap at turndown, and access to the Platinum Club, where you can relax amid quartzite tables, leather banquette seating and brass fittings. Depending on where you’re headed, private transfers are also included.
Platinum Service cabins have double beds, which can be arranged as a double or twin, and are set up as a lounge with a moveable table and two armchairs during the day. There is a full en suite bathroom with shower, and the décor is distinctly Australian in style.
- All-inclusive dining, beverages, and Off Train Experiences
- Spacious cabin almost twice the size of a Gold Service Twin cabin
- By day, cabins are set up lounge-style
- By night, lounges are converted to double or twin beds
- En suite with separate shower, vanity with cupboard space, toilet, and Australian bathroom amenities
- Power outlets and safe
- In-cabin music channels and journey audio commentary
- Panoramic windows
- Access to the exclusive Platinum Club
- Freshly prepared continental breakfasts served upon request in-cabin
- Refreshments served in-cabin
- 90 kg checked luggage allowance per guest (3 x 30 kg each).
Each Indian Pacific Gold Service carriage houses nine Twin cabins or 16 Single cabins. During the day, Twin cabins offer a three-seater lounge with space to relax, which is transformed into upper and lower berths at night. Your attendant will provide you with crisp sheets, bath towels, pillows, and complimentary bath amenities. Single cabins have a lounge chair and footrest, which is converted to a level sleeping berth at night, a wash basin, and use of shared toilets and showers located at either end of the carriage. A limited number of Superior Double cabins are available, with a third upper bunk, a three-quarter size bed and lounge area.
- For Gold Twin, a comfortable sleeper cabin featuring private en suite and upper and lower berths that convert to a three-seater lounge by day
- For Gold Single, a compact sleeper cabin featuring a bed that converts to a seat by day and shared shower/toilet facilities
- Power outlets
- In-cabin music channels and journey audio commentary available
- All-inclusive dining in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant
- All-inclusive Australian wines, beers, base spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages
- All-inclusive Off Train Experiences
- Luggage allowance is 60kg per guest
Experience the diverse landscapes and cultures of Australia aboard the Indian Pacific, which operates a range of itineraries primarily between Sydney and Perth. Along the way, embark on unforgettable off-train adventures in vibrant Australian locations. Discover the rich mining history of Broken Hill, explore the cultural richness and culinary delights of the Adelaide area, and witness the stark beauty of the outback in Cook. Dive into the historic mining town of Kalgoorlie and marvel at the breathtaking natural beauty of the Blue Mountains.
Off train experiences are specific to your individual itinerary and will vary depending on the direction and duration of travel. Each stop offers a unique glimpse into the heart and soul of this vast and diverse continent, for specific details on your journey, please consult your holiday itinerary.
Ultimate Australia: No-Fly Cunard Voyage & All-Inclusive Indian Pacific
- 18 night full-board cruise on board Queen Elizabeth
- FREE Oceanview to Balcony upgrade
- 2 night four-star hotel stay at the Mercure Sydney with breakfast
- 3 night all-inclusive rail journey on board the Indian Pacific from Perth
- All taxes & transfers
Coast to Coast: Indian Pacific & Sydney Adventure
- 3 night all-inclusive rail journey on board the Indian Pacific
- 3 night four-star hotel stay at the Mercure Sydney with breakfast
- Sydney Harbour lunch cruise including beer, wine & soft drink
- All flights & taxes
No-Fly Luxury Cunard Voyage and All-Inclusive Indian Pacific Rail
- 12 night full-board cruise on board Queen Elizabeth
- FREE Oceanview to Balcony upgrade
- 3 night all-incluive rail journey on board the Indian Pacific
- Five-star hotel stay in Perth
- All taxes and transfers
Luxury No-Fly Australia Voyage & All-Inclusive Indian Pacifc Rail
- 14 night full-board cruise on board Westerdam
- 1 night four-star hotel stay at the Rydges Perth Kings Square with breakfast
- 3 night all-inclusive rail journey on board the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth
- All taxes & transfers
Indian Pacific Image Gallery
Browse Indian Pacific’s fabulous image gallery below and discover more about life on board.
The Indian Pacific offers six itineraries with different embark and disembark points:
Sydney to Perth
Sydney – Broken Hill – Barossa Valley – Adelaide – Nullarbor Plain – Darwin
Perth to Sydney
Perth – Kalgoorlie – Rawlinna – Cook – Adelaide – Blue Mountains - Sydney
Adelaide to Sydney
Adelaide - Broken Hill – Blue Mountains - Sydney
Sydney to Adelaide
Sydney – Broken Hill - Adelaide
Adelaide to Perth
Adelaide – Cook – Rawlinna - Perth
Perth to Adelaide
Perth – Kalgoorlie – Rawlinna – Cook - Adelaide
The Indian Pacific offers six itineraries with different durations:
Sydney to Perth – Three nights
Perth to Sydney – Three nights
Adelaide to Sydney – One night
Sydney to Adelaide – One night
Adelaide to Perth – Two nights
Perth to Adelaide – Two nights
As our journeys are all-inclusive you will not need to buy anything unless you choose to purchase an Off Train Experience upgrade or souvenirs, which you can do onboard utilising our EFTPOS or credit card facilities. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any cash out on our trains.
Luggage limits apply for both carry on and checked luggage. These limits vary depending on the level of service you are travelling in and by train.
While on board the Indian Pacific, you can access one piece of hand luggage plus a garment bag, cabin bag or briefcase per person, and store this within your cabin. Checked luggage cannot be accessed during your rail journey and will be stored on a separate part of the train. Checked luggage limits apply.
- Platinum Service (per person): 3 x 30kg
- Gold Service (per person) 2 x 30kg
It’s your holiday and we want you to be comfortable so smart casual attire is recommended.
We also recommend:
- Warm clothes for Outback Experiences as mornings and evenings in the Outback can be cool
- Hat, sunscreen, and comfortable walking shoes for your Off Train Experiences.
Travelling from one end of the country to the other can provide a variation in climates.
When travelling on the Indian Pacific, temperatures vary significantly so make sure to pack for both cooler and warmer temperatures. This is also dependent on the time of year.
- Adelaide and Peth: during summer months, temperatures can average around 30 degrees
- Nullarbor, Rawlinna and Cook: during winter months, temperatures at can average as low as 5 degrees
No, smoking is not permitted on any of Journey Beyond Rail Expeditions services.
Limited Wi-Fi is available in the Outback Explorer Lounges and Platinum Club carriages. Please note that Wi-Fi availability is dependent on mobile network coverage, and as we travel through some remote locations it may not always be available.
Travelling the Indian Pacific, 240v household outlets can be found in the cabin.
Most special dietary requirements can be accommodated – including vegetarian, gluten free, lactose free and vegan. Please ensure this is advised at the time of booking.
Indian Pacific has a Gold Access Cabin available for wheelchair bound/physically impaired guests travelling in Gold Service. This cabin is subject to availability and assessment of the guest’s Fitness to Travel.